Our pick of the best musicals on in London this January 2020. Welcome in the New Year with an evening or afternoon out at the theatre, perfect for all the family. From heartwarming songs to toe-tapping tunes, there’s a great choice of new and classic musicals to choose from this month.
New Musicals On in London, January
Our pick of new musicals that opened recently in London and are showing in January 2020.
- & Juliet – a remix of the most famous love story of all time, including glorious pop anthems from the last three decades. On show throughout January 2020.
- Amelie the Musical – see the five-time Oscar®-nominated film come to the stage for a really popular run at The Watermill Theatre. On show until 1st February 2020.
- Waitress – a romantic musical comedy which tells the story of a waitress and a banker who seek to start a new life. On show throughout January 2020.
- Dear Evan Hansen – the Tony award-winning best musical transfers from Broadway to London. Exploring life and the way we live it, the musical is on at the Noel Coward Theatre from 13th January 2020.
- Girl from the North Country – the critically acclaimed musical reimagining the songs of Bob Dylan returns to London until 1st February 2020.
- Hamilton – entering its third sell-out year at London’s Victoria Palace Theatre, this is one of the great musicals of our time that tells the story of Alexander Hamilton.
- RAGS – The heartwarming story of a group of Jewish immigrants as they start a new life in America, with music from the songwriters of Wicked and Annie. On for a limited run from 9 January to 8 February 2020.
- The Wedding Singer – based on the hit Hollywood film, this hilarious musical sees Strictly Come Dancing star Kevin Clifton take on the role of Robbie Hart
Last chance to See Musicals On in London, January
Our list of musicals that are coming to an end in London during January 2020. Most of these musicals were on show during the Christmas period, and there’s still a chance to see them during the first few days of January 2020!
- Ending 5 Jan 2020 – The Snowman comes to a close after another successful run at The Peacock theatre. A heartwarming Christmas classic.
- Ending 5 Jan 2020 – Billionaire Boy tells the story about the richest boy in the country! Based on the bestselling book by David Walliams, this is the perfect family Christmas show
- Ending 4 Jan 2020 – Irving Berlin’s White Christmas, a timeless romantic comedy with beautiful songs, including the most famous festive song of all time, White Christmas
- Ending 11 Jan 2020 – Curtains, from the creators of Chicago and Cabaret, is a musical mystery comedy
- Ending 11 Jan 2020 – Soho Cinders, described as a deliciously naughty musical update of the Cinderella story!
- Ending 26 Jan 2020 – Fame The Musical returns for a 30th-anniversary tour. Based on the 1980 film, it follows the lives of students at New York’s High School for the Performing Arts
Classic Musicals on in London, January
A few heartfelt favourites from the London musical scene. These are a curated list of must-sees for first-time visitors to London and are amongst the most popular musicals of all time.
- Mary Poppins – a must-see for any musical lovers, with performances taking place throughout January 2020.
- The Lion King – if you are visiting London for the first time with kids, this musical is the one to start with. Look forward to wonderful songs spectacular sets and amazing colours!
- Les Miserables – another smash hit musical that is a staple of the London performing arts scene. This new production takes place at the Sondheim Theatre.
- The Phantom of the Opera – one of the most successful shows of all time that’s been on in London for over 30 years! Discover Andrew Lloyd Webber’s masterpiece.
- SIX The Musical – a new piece of British musical theatre, where the six wives of Henry VIII take to the mic to tell their tales! From Tudor wives to modern pop divas