A guide to what’s on in London this November 2019. November marks the beginning of the Christmas season in London, with lots of festive shows, events and markets taking place across the capital. This year also sees some great concerts, a word-renowned Jazz festival, and outstanding exhibitions. The Treasures of Tutankhamun makes one last appearance outside of Egypt, the finals of the ATP Men’s Tennis takes place at The Royal Albert Hall and outdoor ice skating rinks pop-up across the capital.
Events On in London, November 2019
- Beginning of November – Bonfire Night in London, marking the anniversary of the discovery of a plot by Guy Fawkes who attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament back in 1605. Firework displays across London, including Battersea Park (Nov 1-2), Alexandra Palace (Nov 1-2), Victoria Park (Nov 3), Wimbledon Park (Nov 5), Southwark Park (Nov 5) & Wembley Park (Nov 10)
- 2 November: Enjoy a special cruise along the River Thames to watch the fireworks at Battersea Park
- 3 November: Celebrate Diwali in Trafalgar Square with special events, music, dance and performances
- 9 November: Lord Mayor’s Show – the annual parade with cadets, carriages, floats and bands
- Until 10 November: Dark Arts exhibition at the Warner Bros Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter
- 10 November: Remembrance Sunday, with commemorative events across London remembering those who lost their lives in war. A parade takes place at 11am at the Cenotaph, attended by the Queen. Please note that roads will be closed during this day.
- 11 November: Remembrance Day, where a two-minute silence takes place at 11am marking the moment when WWI ended.
Christmas Events On in November 2019
- Ice Skating in London: At the Natural History Museum (every day); at Somerset House (from 13 Nov); at The Tower of London (from 16 Nov)
- From 5 November 2019: Leicester Square is transformed for the Christmas season, with a market, events & more
- From 8 November 2019: Winter Market at Southbank Centre – pop-ups, stalls with festive gifts, street food from around the world
- 13-17 November 2019: Disney on Ice celebrates 100 years of magic, with favourite Disney characters and stories brought to life with the artistry of ice skating. Perfect for families!
- From 16 November 2019: Hogwarts in the Snow at the Warner Bros Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter
- From 21 November 2019: Hyde Park Winter Wonderland opens for the Christmas season, with a market, ice skating rink, children’s shows, festive events
- From November 22: Alice in Winterland Festival at Lightwater Valley Theme Park
- Christmas Lights Switch-on events: Carnaby Street (7 Nov); Covent Garden (12 Nov); Marylebone High Street (13 Nov); Regent Street (14 Nov); Chelsea Christmas Lights (17 Nov); Kew Gardens (17 Nov)
- From November 16: A Christmas Lights bus tour of London – see the London Christmas Lights on an evening tour travelling in a double-decker bus
- 20-24 November 2019: Eat & Drink Christmas Festival at Olympia London – an indoor food festival
- Christmas Theatre & Pantomime performances: Popular shows include White Christmas (from 16 Nov); The Snowman (from 21 Nov); A Christmas Carol (from 29 Nov)
Exhibitions On in London, November 2019
- Every day from 2 November: The Tutankhamun Exhibition opens at the Saatchi Gallery. Your last ever chance to see these magnificent treasures outside of Egypt!
- Every day from 9 November: Leonardo Exhibition at the National Gallery – discover the secret’s of Leonardo’s masterpiece ‘The Virgin of the Rocks’
- From 15 November: George IV Exhibition at Buckingham Palace examining the life of the king
- Every day: The Gaugin Exhibition at the National Gallery – featuring around 50 works and dedicated to the artists’ portraits
- Every day: The Rembrandt Exhibition showcases 35 works at the Dulwich Picture Gallery
- Every day: The Troy Exhibition at the British Museum explores the ancient legends of Troy, with art, archaeology and more!
- Every day: The Dora Maar Exhibition at the Tate Modern – exploring one of the most important Surrealist photographers
- Every day, Nov: The Antony Gormley Exhibition is held at the Royal Academy of Arts
- Other ongoing exhibitions include – Mary Quant exhibition and Tim Walker exhibition at the V&A; Innovation Exhibition at the Science Museum; Pre-Raphaelite Sisters exhibition and Lucian Freud exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery; Beasts of London exhibition at the Museum of London; Buddhism Exhibition at The British Library
Sport On in London, November 2019
- 10-17 November 2019: The ATP Tennis World Finals takes place at the Royal Albert Hall. One of the major men’s tennis tournaments
- 28 November to 1 December 2019: The Champions Tennis Tournament – a lighthearted event where past tennis champions play a series of exhibition matches
- Football matches in London this November: Nov 2 – Arsenal vs. Wolves; West Ham vs. Newcastle; Nov 3 – Crystal Palace vs. Leicester; Nov 5 – Chelsea vs. Ajax; Nov 9 – Chelsea vs Crystal Palace; Spurs vs. Sheffield Utd; Nov 23 – Crystal Palace vs. Liverpool; Arsenal vs. Southampton; West Ham vs. Spurs; Nov 26 – Spurs vs. Olympiakos; Nov 28 – Arsenal vs. Eintracht Frankfurt; Nov 30 – Chelsea vs. West Ham; Spurs vs. Bournemouth
Theatre & Musicals On in London, November 2019
With lots of theatres and musicals going on in London this November, here are some highlights:
- November 2019: Ian McKellen On Stage – a semi-autobiographical stage show in which this legendary actor talks about his life, performs favourite bits and answers questions
- November 2019 – Death of a Salesman starring Wendell Pierce and Sharon D. Clarke at the Piccadilly Theatre. For 10 weeks only.
- Throughout November 2019 – Mary Poppins at Prince Edward Theatre
- Until 9 November: Baby Reindeer – winner of the Edinburgh Comedy Award
- Throughout November 2019: Ghost Stories – song-cycle of musical ghost stories opens the swish-looking new Boulevard Theatre in Soho
- Throughout November 2019 – popular theatre & musicals including The Lion King, Les Miserables, Mousetrap, Phantom of the Opera, Thriller Live and more….
Concerts & Festivals On in London, November 2019
Our pick of the top concerts & festivals happening in London this November
- 15-24 November 2019: The London Jazz Festival – one of the top festivals of this genre with performances all over the capital
- Pop Concerts: MoStak (Nov 1 & 11); Marina (Nov 4); Shakespeares Sister (Nov 5); Christina Aguilera (Nov 9-10); Zedd (Nov 11-15); Vampire Weekend (Nov 13 & 14); Sleaford Mods (Nov 15); Herbie Hancock (Nov 17 & 19); Mac DeMarco (Nov 21); Fontaines DC (Nov 27); Liam Gallagher (Nov 28-29); Lewis Capaldi (Nov 29)
- Classical Music & Opera: Beethoven & The Cello – The Revolutionary & Romantic (Nov 2); The Magic Flute (Nov 1-27); Michael Tilson Thomas – 50th Anniversary Concerts (Nov 10, 13 & 14); Gluck, Orfeo ed Euridice (Until Nov 19); Beethoven 250 Piano Concerto Concerts (Nov 5)
What’s Closed in London – November 2019
Special closures at popular attractions in London during November 2019
- 11-15 November 2019: Warner Bros Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter is closed
- 18-20 November 2019: The introductory film to the Crown Jewels Exhibition at Tower of London will not be running
- 7 November 2019: The Pavillion at Kensington Palace is closed
- 14 & 27 November 2019: The Pavillion at Kensington Palace closes at 4pm
- 14 November 2019: Windsor Castle closing early (Last admission 14:00. Last admission to the State Apartments 14:30. Castle closes 15:00).
- 9 November 2019: St Paul’s Cathedral Closeout day for ticket sales.
- 16 November 2019: St Paul’s Cathedral last admission for sightseeing 14.30. Last admission to galleries 14.45
- 19 November 2019: St Paul’s Cathedral closed all morning; expected to open for sightseeing at 14.00
- 28 November 2019: St Paul’s Cathedral closed all morning; expected to open for sightseeing at 13.00