Our guide to what’s on in London this February 2020. Major exhibitions open at the V&A and National Gallery, two highly awaited musicals come to the West End and special events take place on Valentine’s Day. Don’t miss the last few weeks of Cirque du Soleil at the Royal Albert Hall and the Mary Quant exhibition at the V&A Museum.
Events on in London, February 2020
- From 8 Feb 2020 – See the annual Orchid Display at Kew Gardens, this year inspired by the orchids and nature of Indonesia.
- Throughout Feb 2020 – VAULT Festival, an 8-week entertainment event with lots of shows, comedy and cabaret taking place in Waterloo
- 12-23 Feb 2020 – Imagine Children’s Festival is on at the Southbank with lots of fun events, classes and workshops for kids
- 14-24 Feb 2020 – See Introducing the Art Department, a special event at the Warner Bros Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter. Tickets are likely to sell out in advance.
- 14-18 Feb 2020 – London Fashion Week Festival, one of the few global fashion weeks that’s open to the public
- 21-23 Feb 2020 – The London Craft Beer Festival is held at the Old Truman Brewery
Shows & Theatre on in London, February 2020
Our pick of new plays, musicals and operas on show in London this February. Our February theatre guide gives a detailed list of what’s on this month.
- From 1 Feb 2020 – Endgame starring Daniel Radcliffe comes to the West End in a double billing alongside Rough for Theatre II
- From 5 Feb 2020 – The Prince of Egypt opens in London, an adaption of the 1988 animated film and based on the Book of Exodus.
- From 5 Feb 2020 – Opera Undone, a revolutionary new opera format presenting two classics – Tosca & La Boheme
- From 6 Feb 2020 – Catch Message in a Bottle, an extraordinary new dance show based on the songs of Sting
- From 14 Feb 2020 – Pretty Woman: The Musical opens on Valentine’s Day for an 11-month run. Catch the Hollywood romance as it comes to the stage in London’s West End.
- From 26 Feb 2020 – the English National Opera presents Madam Butterfly, one of the greatest opera’s of all time
Shows ending this month:
- Until 1 March 2020 – The last few weeks of Cirque du Soleil at the Royal Albert Hall. Shows are available in the afternoon and evening.
- Until 27 Feb 2020 – Carmen, Bizet’s popular opera on show at the London Coliseum until the end of the month
- Until 29 Feb 2020 – School of Rock based on the hit film with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Exhibitions on in London, February 2020
New exhibitions opening this month:
- From 7 Feb 2020 – Meet Vincent van Gogh – a multi-sensory exhibition where you can journey through the life and artwork of Van Gogh
- From 12 Feb 2020 – the first major exhibition of Steve McQueen’s artwork in over 20 years is on at the Tate Modern
- From 22 Feb 2020 – an exhibition at the National Gallery dedicated to the Dutch Master of the Golden Age Nicolaes Maes
- From 27 Feb 2020 – a new David Hockney exhibition opens at the National Portrait Gallery for a 4-month run
- From 29 Feb 2020 – the V&A Museum is putting on a Kimono Exhibition exploring the evolution of the traditional Japanese garment
Ongoing temporary exhibitions:
- Everyday – Living with Art – an exhibition at the British Museum exploring 20th Century artists, including works by Picasso, Matisse and Hockney
- Everyday – a major Picasso exhibition at The Royal Academy of Arts, celebrating the great artists use of paper.
- Everyday – The Tutankhamun Exhibition is on display at the Saatchi Gallery. Tickets are limited for this extremely popular exhibition
- Everyday – George IV Exhibition at Buckingham Palace examining the life of the King
- Everyday: The Troy Exhibition at the British Museum explores the ancient legends of Troy, with art, archaeology and more!
- Everyday: The Dora Maar Exhibition at the Tate Modern – exploring one of the most important Surrealist photographers
Last Chance to See…
- Until 2 Feb 2020 – Last chance to see the Rembrandt Exhibition at Dulwich Picture Gallery
- Until 16 Feb 2020 – the Mary Quant exhibition celebrating the iconic 1960s fashion designer
- Until 23 Feb 2020 – a Buddhism Exhibition at The British Library exploring its origins and relevance today
Valentine’s Day, February 2020
Gather your rosebuds for the most romantic day of the year. Our picks for spending Valentine’s Day in London.
Football Matches in London, February 2020
Major football matches taking place in London this February 2020, including Premier League, FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League. Tickets can be found on the official club websites and popular matches get sold out in advance. Resale tickets can be found here.
- West Ham vs. Brighton (1 Feb); Crystal Palace vs. Sheffield (1 Feb); Spurs vs. Man City (2 Feb); Arsenal vs. Newcastle (16 Feb); Chelsea vs. Man Utd (17 Feb); Spurs vs. RB Leipzig (19 Feb); Chelsea vs. Spurs (22 Feb); Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle (22 Feb); Arsenal vs. Everton (23 Feb); Chelsea vs. FV Bayern (25 Feb); Arsenal vs. Olympiakos (27 Feb); West Ham vs. Southampton (29 Feb)
Six Nations Rugby:
23 February 2020: England plays Ireland at Twickenham stadium in London as part of the Six Nations Tournament
Concerts in London, February 2020
Our pick of the top concerts & performances happening in London this February.
- Until Feb 15 2020: Catch Madonna at the London Palladium with a series of rare and intimate performances by the legendary artist
- 1 Feb 2020: Indie rock band Kaiser Chiefs are joined by special guest Razorlight for a performance at the O2
- 2 & 3 Feb 2020: The Jonas Brothers come to London for two nights only, with performances at the O2 and SSE Arena;
- 8 Feb 2020: The Canadian singer-songwriter Carly Jae Respen comes to the O2 Academy Brixton
- 10 Feb 2020: Marc Almond is joined by songwriter Chris Braide at the Southbank (10 Feb)
- 21 & 22 Feb 2020: The 1975, an English pop-rock band, comes to the O2 for two nights this February in support of their upcoming album, Notes on a Conditional Form
- 25 Feb 2020: American singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey is on at the O2, playing songs from her latest No. 1 album, Normal Fucking Rockwell
- 28 Feb 2020: Editors come to the SSE Arena London as part of their UK tour
- 1 Feb 2020: The Four Seasons by Vivaldi is presented by candlelight at St-Martin-in-the-Fields
- 1-2 Feb 2020: The ultimate Beethoven celebration takes place at the Barbican, with a whole weekend dedicated to Beethoven’s music
- 9 Feb: Renowned pianist Richard Goode presents a solo recital programme, with works by Chopin, Debussy, Mozart and Bach at the Wigmore Hall
- 12, 13 & 16 Feb 2020: A series of concerts focusing on the orchestral works of Beethoven takes place at the Barbican Hall, performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Simon Rattle
- 14 Feb 2020: A special Valentine’s Day Concert by the London Philharmonic Orchestra takes place at the Southbank Centre
- 19 Feb 2020: The Pavel Haas Quartet is joined by pianist Boris Giltburg for an evening at the Wigmore Hall dedicated to two Russian masters – Prokofiev and Shostakovich