Getting to Lake District from Liverpool
There are several ways of getting to the Lake District from Liverpool but it depends on where you plan to visit in the Lake District. Train travel is a really good option if you plan to see some of the bigger towns in the area like Windermere, but local transportation is limited. If you want to visit the iconic little villages and go deeper into the countryside, your best bet is to take a Lake District day tour from Liverpool.
lake district day tour from liverpool
This award-winning sightseeing tour leaves Liverpool every Tuesday and Saturday. It was specifically created to help tourists visiting Liverpool experience the Lake District in a day. You get to explore highlights of the area including Dove Cottage, Grasmere, Windermere and the Great Langdales. This is a guided small group tour, with a maximum of 16 passengers, and costs only £44 per adult and £24 per child, making it the cheapest way of getting to the Lake District.
Highlights of the tour:
- Depart Central Liverpool at 09:15
- Spend the day in the Lake District. Visit the towns/villages of Bowness, Ambleside, Grasmere & Windermere. Explore highlights of the region including Dove Cottage, where William Wordsworth lived. Drive through the spectacular Lake District countryside, including a tour of “Little Switzerland”
- The trip includes a professional tour guide in a 16 seater minibus
- Return to Liverpool at approximately 7pm
Available every Tuesday & Saturday, see further details for full itinerary and booking options.
Its quite simple to get from Liverpool to Windermere, one of the main towns in the Lake District. There are regular trains that leave Liverpool Lime Street station, which is the main station in the City Centre. You’ll normally have to change train twice to reach Windermere, once at Wigan North and once at Oxenholme and the journey should take just over 2 hours. You can plan your trip using the Trainline journey planner.
It takes about 30 minutes to walk from the train station in Windermere to the lake, or you can take the 599 bus. A couple of useful bus lines in the area include:
- Bus 599 from Windermere to Bowness
- Bus 555/556 from Windermere to Kendal, Ambleside, Grasmere and Keswick
- Bus 508 from Troutbeck and Ullswater. You can also take a cruise from Bowness, which is next to Windermere.
private transfer from liverpool to lake district
Private vehicles can be pre-booked for transfer from Liverpool to Lake District. Vehicles of all size are available, from saloon cars to minibusses, and big buses and prices vary according to the specific address and required vehicle. You can check here for private tours from Liverpool port, and these transfers can be arranged from any location within Liverpool.